Brazilian Blowout Exposed!

BBBefore and After

I keep seeing these Groupons flying around for Brazilian Blowout.  Some of my clients and friends have participated in these and when they describe their experience to me, it sounds nothing like Brazilian Blowout.  I want to shed some light on what Brazilian Blowout is all about and what it’s like.  I’ve even got a real live testimonial and pictures of a recent client.  Know exactly what you are paying for and what to expect.  There are actually salons out there who say they’re doing Brazilian Blowout, but it’s some other product!!

First things first.

Brazilian vs. Keratin

The Brazilian Blowout is the original smoothing treatment and the best on the market.  It improves the condition of the hair and each subsequent treatment leaves the hair healthier than before.  It uses a Brazilian Super Nutrient Complex, rich with Acai, and a proprietary polymer system.  These amino acids coat the hair and smooth the cuticle, leaving the hair shiny, soft, and incredibly healthy!  It can be used to lock in color or just cut frizz.  It is NOT a relaxer and will not get rid of your curls, just the frizz.  It cuts down blow dry time and flat iron time.  There is no down time, so you can wash your hair right away, you can clip it up or tuck it behind your ears.  You can do your color right before the blowout or two weeks after.  I’d recommend doing it before to lock in color.

Keratin Smoothing depends on the product you use, but for the most part it’s long protein chains similar to the keratin that hair is made up of.  This is sealed on to the hair and the result is smoother, stronger hair.  Each subsequent time the hair will be stronger, but like anytime you use products with protein the hair doesn’t feel as soft.  After the treatment is put in you must leave it unwashed and straight for 3 days.  You shouldn’t clip it up or tuck it behind your ears.

With both systems the curl is not relaxed, rather the frizz is eliminated.  To have lasting results, use the corresponding shampoo and conditioner.  It’s best to not wait until the treatment is completely out of your hair to do the next one.

Both treatments can be fairly expensive, so make sure you’re getting it from someone you trust.  If you’re considering getting a groupon, take the trip to the salon that is offering it and ask to look at the bottles of treatment.  There are many salons that use the words “Brazilian Blowout” and “Keratin Treatment” interchangeably.  Don’t fall victim.

In my opinion, Keratin smoothing should be done if you’ve got really damaged hair.  And it shouldn’t be done back to back, over and over again.  I honestly think keratin should be added to the hair in the form of products like leave in treatments or shampoos/conditioners.  I don’t prefer Keratin Smoothing.

Aftercare Tips and Tricks

At J. Tailor Salon, we specialize in Brazilian Blowout.  I am certified and guarantee my work, provided you follow my instructions.  I am extremely meticulous about the procedure and do not cut any corners.  This is the only way I can be sure that your results will last.  There is a shampoo and conditioner that  I include with the treatment that will also help to make results last.  If you get your Brazilian Blowout done somewhere, please make sure they are completely instructing you on the after-care.  If your stylist tells you that it’s ok to use any shampoo and conditioner as long as it’s sulfate free, don’t listen!  Yes it’s better to use a sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner, but after you’ve gotten a Brazilian Blowout done, use the AntiFrizz Shampoo and Conditioner that is recommended for it.  It has the same amino acids in it as the solution so it will help the results last much longer.  If done properly the Blowout should last about 12 weeks.  There is a gradual fade from the hair so you won’t have a line where the new growth is like you would with a relaxer.  Make sure you get your next blow out before it is completely gone from your hair.  I know the mentality is to try to stretch as long as you can, but you want to build on the last treatment, this way it will get healthier and healthier each time.

Formaldehyde

I am going to be completely honest, yes, there is formaldehyde released when performing the blowout.  If you’re pregnant or nursing, don’t get one done.  They don’t have research, for good reason, on the effects on pregnant and nursing women.  Not many volunteers for that study!  However what they’ve found in their lab tests is that boiling broccoli releases more formaldehyde than the blowout.  The way I see it is that there is more harm around me on a daily basis, the food I eat, the microwave, second hand smoke, etc.  A while back when Brazilian Blowout came on to the market and became the best smoothing treatment around, there was some bad press that was leaked.  You will always have the skeptics and haters when a product is doing this well.  After using it and performing this on my clients, I can tell you from my experience that it doesn’t make me sick like a keratin treatment does.  When I do keratin treatments I get headaches and feel nauseous.  It also makes me lethargic and I’m pretty much out the rest of the day.  I don’t get that when I do blowouts.  I’m not here to convince you that it’s ok, I’m only telling you the facts and sharing my experience.

A Testimonial

I recently performed a blowout on a client and wanted to share pictures and her experience with you.  I want to make sure you know exactly what you’re paying for.  My personal take, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t do it!!  The hair is silky soft, so shiny, and very easy to manage.  This particular client, took some convincing, but I could just tell that everything she was complaining about would be solved with this magical treatment!

Here is the before:

BeforeBefore

Model has naturally curly frizzy hair with damage from previous chemical services and mechanical damages from flat ironing frequently.  Hair frizzes easily and has a large amount of volume.

This is her hair combed out and wet before application of the Brazilian Blowout Solution.

Before application

After we blow dried and flat ironed, we rinsed the hair and conditioned it with the Brazilian Blowout Acai Deep Conditioning Masque.  This is the final step in the blow out.   My clients hair is frizzy even when wet on a normal day.  After the blowout it was smooth!  You can see the difference already!

After Application

The picture below is after the rinse when we blow dried with just fingers.  It only took 5 minutes to get the hair completely dry.  Had she done this before the blowout, her hair would have been a giant afro.  As you can see you don’t lose the curl, just the frizz.  I finger dried her hair to show even when messily blow dried it is still manageable.  Had I used a round brush she wouldn’t have even needed to flat iron.

Blow dried with fingers.

It took less than 15 minutes to flat iron her hair.  I took large sections and quickly ran the flat iron through.  Here are the results:

After Brazilian BlowoutAfter Brazilian Blowout

Here is what my model had to say about the experience:

“I was skeptical in the beginning to put my hair through yet another chemical treatment. My hair was wiry, frizzy, coarse and damaged. I had fly aways on top of my fly always. My hair is extremely dense and on a normal basis, it took me 30 minutes to blow dry my hair and almost another 45 minutes to flat iron it. Who has that kind of time?!?
Shreeda asked that I try the Brazilian blowout to see if I could tame my hair.
When she began working on my hair I could immediately feel how her hands were just slipping through my hair.  There was no burning or harsh chemical smells.  When she was done flat ironing my hair, it literally felt like silk. It was extremely light and airy.
Then as per the instructions, Shreeda was supposed to wash the product out. This I thought for sure was going to undo all of her hard work and I would be right back to looking like a chia pet. As with my last experience with getting my hair treated with keratin, my hair would go right back to being huge and rough when I was done blow drying it. Not this time. I used my phone timer and it took Shreeda just under five minutes to blow dry my hair using only her fingers. The first word out of my mouth was wow! My hair did not have the wiry, frizzy look to it. It hadn’t grown three times it’s normal size! I would have walked out of the salon doing nothing more.
But just for curiosity’s sake, Shreeda went ahead and flat ironed my hair to see how long it would take. She was able to take larger chunks of hair then I normally would have when I  straightened my hair and it took just under 14 minutes to do! I am so happy I did this treatment. Not only does the product make my hair smell amazing, it feels great and light and manageable. I feel like I finally have time to do my hair instead of throwing it up in an ugly bun all the time.”

My Own Experience

I can speak from personal experience as well.  I just did the blowout on myself and I’ve never been able to just blow dry my hair and go.  I have no choice but to curling iron it.  And on top of that I can never just curl it, I have to smooth the roots with a bioionic flat iron and use a ton of products to eliminate frizz.  After the blowout, I was able to blow dry my hair, which took me less than 5 minutes and just smooth my ends with a flat iron and I was done.  It literally took me 7 minutes to do my hair.  And it looks polished and beautiful.  That is a huge difference from the normal 45 minutes it would take me.   My hair hasn’t been this shiny and healthy in a long time.  I urge my clients to come talk to me about it to see if it’s a good fit.  This product is amazing and it will change your life!

If you don’t want to get the whole blowout, you can try out the treatment with a Blowout Express or Blowout Mini.  We also offer the Split End Repairing Treatment.

Here is a before and after of one of my clients that did the Split End Repairing Treatment.

BeforeAfter SplitEnd Treatment

xoxo

Shreeda

***

I’m going to go over the steps, so that if you’ve gotten something called a blowout in the past, you can see if it really was or not.

First, the hair is washed with an Anti-Residue shampoo.  Usually I wash the hair several times to make sure it is squeaky clean.

Second I apply the treatment all over.

Third I blow dry the hair smooth and then flat iron.  I even use the Brazilian Blowout iron!  The ironing is the most important part because the heat form the iron is what activates the product.  There is no harsh smell and fumes that will give you a headache or make your eyes burn.  The product smells great, like Acai berries!

Fourth, I rinse out the product.  I know!  After all that hard work, we just wash it right out!

Fifth, I deep condition with the Brazilian Blowout Masque.

Sixth, I style the hair with a few products and PRESTO!

275 thoughts on “Brazilian Blowout Exposed!

1. Katha says:

CAN WE SEE AN AFTER A WASH pic pls? eager to have mine done.

2. Kaycee says:

Can you do a brazillian blowout and the split end treatment the same day?

• Thank you for the question Kaycee! There is no need to do both. The BB will seal up the ends as well and last much longer than the split end treatment. I would recommend the split end treatment for those on a budget or to do between haircuts to help maintain healthy hair and encourage growth. Hope that helps!

3. I have to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site.
    I am hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts from you
    in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has
    motivated me to get my own site now 😉

4. Chael says:

Thank you so much for this article. I was given horrible aftercare instructions. I’ve already had it two weeks so I hope I didn’t cut time of how long it lasts. It would be money down the drain. Literally. I should have done my research before!!

5. Awesome post! I’ve been wondering what exactly everyone’s been going on about with the blowouts! Now I’m excited to try one…

6. Sharon says:

I live in PA and am so excited to get my BB tonight!!! Thanks for this post. I am searching the internet for some photo of the hair a few weeks after the BB. I had the California Smooth treatment done before and was so disappointed that it barely lasted a week. If you have any photos or insight I would love it. Thanks!

7. kitty says:

i have a client who is breastfeeding. should i not do brazlian blowout on her? and why

• I wouldn’t do it. They haven’t tested on pregnant or breast feeding individuals so they don’t know if it impacts them or not. Avoid the risk and don’t do it. You could get the zero formula which doesn’t have the chemical in it, but if they have done the regular one or have frizzy coarse hair, they will likely hate the results. You could do a mini blow out which doesn’t use the solution every month until she is done breatfeeding. I charge $55 for this service and recommend it to my pregnant or nursing clients.

Procedure:
      Wash with Anti Residue
      Condition with Masque
      Use BB Styling products for blowout and iron style.
      lasts 3-4 weeks.

8. Kathy says:

I just got my second BB. This time she didn’t wash it out afterwards, she told me it was ok to just put the product on, blow dry and flat iron. She didn’t rinse/use the masque/dry and style. My hair already requires more work to flat iron and isn’t silky and swingy like it was last time. Thoughts??

9. Eve says:

Wow. I can’t believe people are still getting brazilian blowouts. I lost 80% of my hair after I got mine done which never grew back. This company uses high amounts of formaldehyde!! My friend who is a hair dresser sent her bottle out and it came back with 8.6%. Please think twice about getting it done it stays on your head and you off gas chemicals for at least 3 months.

• I’ve never had this issue with my clients. User error is typically the reason for damage associated with BB. Every single one of my clients has healthier hair after doing BB. I’m sorry you had this result, but I’d say you are a rare case and not the norm. They make a formaldehyde free solution, so if you don’t want the chemical, the option is there.

10. cindy anderson says:

I’ve been getting BB for a few years now and love them. Makes my hair so easy to manage. Has anyone noticed a difference lately in how long the treatment is lasting and how your hair feels after the treatment. My stylist, myself and a few more of my stylist clients all commented on our last couple of treatments not being the same as the earlier ones. Our hair wasn’t as slick and soft. My hair normally has a huge amount of body. Prior, after a treatment my hair would be flat almost to the point that I always liked it better a few weeks out because a little of the body came back. Not so with the last treatments. BB says the formula hasn’t changed, but there is something definitely different about how my and others hair is after the treatment. I wish it wasn’t so because I loved the old formula.

11. Christine Munoz says:

Great article! Very informative. I just had my BB done a couple of days ago. Before the BB I would only wash and straighten my hair every 5 days and use a dry shampoo in between . I bought the BB shampoo and conditioner products to help extend the life of the BB. So its been three days now and my hair is getting
    Oily. Can I still use my dry shampoo or will it damage the BB?

• As long as the dry shampoo doesn’t contain sulfates, it should be fine. If you are using the Anti Frizz Sh/Cond, then try switching to the Volumizing Sh/Cond. The Anti Frizz one may be too moisturizing for your hair.

12. Shannon says:

You have been so helpful and encouraging! Could you tell me how many treatments are in the Brazilian Blowout Original Solution?

• I’m not sure what you mean by this? The solution is only available to licensed stylists and the number of treatments would vary greatly. Depends on how much hair the client has and how much solution the stylist is using.

13. Jennifer C says:

where are you located? 🙂

14. Erin says:

Thank you for the post! Yesterday I got what I was told was a Brazilian blowout through a groupon. The stylist washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo, put a product all through my hair, then put a cap on me for a bit with the solution still soaking in, then she blow dried and then hot ironed my hair and then told me I was done and to not wash, pin, tuck it behind my ears, etc for 8 hours. She assured me she did a BB and not a keratin treatment, even though after reading your post this sounded to me like I did NOT get an actual BB and now I’m just confused. What do you think? And if she did something else, do you see it as something not as beneficial as a BB?

• I can tell you for sure she didn’t do a BB. That is not the procedure, and BB has no down time. You should have been able to do whatever with your hair right after. You could go back and ask to look at the bottles. What did the product smell like? It should have had a pleasant smell, fruity. If it smelled like chemical at all then it wasn’t BB. I personally think BB is the best solution I have ever used. Nothing compares to these results. How is your hair now? Are you liking the results?

• Erin says:

Thanks for responding! It was definitely not a fruity smell, it was a chemical smell and burned my eyes and it seems to have worn off already. My hair is getting frizzy again and the ends are splitting more than ever, And I only got the treatment 5 weeks ago – and I’m using the BB Acai products. 😦

15. elvia says:

I just got my brazilian blowout done this weekend so far so good. I will be wearing it straight most of the time. When I do want to wear it curly what products can I use? Is there any I should stay away from?

• Stay away from any products that have sulfates in them. This will strip the BB from your hair. You could style your hair the way you did before. The only difference is it won’t be frizzy! I typically use mousse or the BB Deep Conditioning Masque to scrunch my hair.

16. Dennis says:

What lab test showed that “boiling broccoli releases more formaldehyde than the blowout.”?

17. Jackie Harrison says:

In just got a BB on Tuesday today is Friday on my right hand side of the ends of my hair already look curly and dry kind a brittle. I have not wash my hair she did not give me any product to take home with it I just purchase yesterday Keratin Treatment Sulfer Free of chemical shampoo and conditioner.took a picture send it to her by text and she said perfect you could use it when I ask. What should I do please advice I travel and is hard to get home to get fix and I paid 250.00 dollars for the BB. You welcome to email me.

• It sounds like she didn’t coat the hair properly in product, or she didn’t really use BB. If she is certified she would never have told you to use the keratin shampoo and conditioner. This will make your hair worse. Also she shoul dhave given you or at least offered you the anti frizz or volumizing shampoo and conditioner from BB. It is the only one that will help guarantee the life of your BB. At this point, I would say get another stylist, and go buy the Brazilian Blowout shampoo and conditioner.

18. B says:

You can’t believe everything you read on the internet. BB contains 12% formaldehye.Keratin Complex 2%. The product that vet’s use to embalm animals in has 10% formaldehye. 12% is more than 10% doesn’t that throw up a red flag.

• They make a formaldehyde free formula. Also you are talking about different compositions of the chemical. There are derivatives of the chemical. Doesn’t make it healthy, but I suppose it all comes down to a risk benefit ratio. It’s not for everyone.

19. Starr says:

What is a mini and an express vs regular BB?

• A mini blowout is a regular blow dry using the Brazilian Blowout product line. The express and regular BB uses the actual solution and lasts much longer. The mini basically lasts a few shampoos, express lasts 4-6 weeks and the blowout lasts 12 weeks.

20. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the greatest sites on the web.

I’m going to recommend this blog!

21. Sherry Pierce says:

Daughter just did mine absolutely love it been 20 yes with horse like hair can’t stop touching it.lol what should she be chargingper treatment. She got 12 oz bottle for 150.

22. Lauren says:

I am getting the BB treatment today, is there any advice you could provide to help soften my hair following the procedure? I have the “It’s a 10!” Brand deep conditioner… can I use that? Thanks!

• Sorry I’m just getting to this. Hope the treatment went well. BB makes several products that are wonderful. You must use their shampoo and conditioner if you want the Blowout to last. Otherwise you’re washing your money down the drain. The Deep Conditioning Masque is AMAZING. You hair will feel like silk. Typically you don’t need to much after the treatment is done, but that Masque is just enough.

23. yasmine says:

I have somewhat thick frizzy curly hair usually kept long. I would love to do a shoulder length angled bob but with curly hair I can’t manage it as I don’t have much skill in styling or straightening at all but I do love when my hair is straight (with 4 kids no time to do it) is there a type of treatment would give me straight hair. Or just ones to reduce frizz? Would it be damaging or something to renew all the time. Will I get my curls back eventually.
    Sorry for so many questions. I have never done any type of treatment to my hair before.

• You could benefit from Brazilian Blowout. It will make your hair easier to manage. My clients with several children find that their hair is always looking good and they don’t have to fuss with it. BB isn’t damaging, and fades out of the hair so you won’t be stuck touching it up constantly. Another option is a japanese straightening service. It can be done so that the is not completely flat. You’d still have volume if you wanted. The only problem is it can be damaging and touch ups are usually every 6 months. A chemical process doesn’t really effect the texture of the hair as much as your hormones do. The curl pattern is a result of the shape of the follicle. That can’t be changed permanently with a chemical process. The hair growing out of you head will typically stay somewhat the same. Having children does effect that as well as chemo. If you were my client, the realistic advice I would give you is to do the BB because it’s the least maintenance and the least commitment.

24. Daisy says:

Hi i just got “keratin treatment today, the Coppola one” and the guy apy the keratin and left it for 20 min and then he washed all the produc away, wich everybody said that he was supose to leave it for 2 or 3 days, so i don’t know what he did on my hair, can you please help me to understand what he did, or if you think they lie to me, Thank u

• The Coppola treatment is typically done like this: wash, apply solution, blow dry, flat iron, and done. Then you don’t wash for a few days and you don’t clip it up or tie it up. If he washed it away without sealing it on the hair, it would have had zero affect. The solution is only activated with heat. If the condition of your hair changed after, then he definitely did something, but it might not have been keratin. It should last for several months before it gets frizzy again.

• Nrn says:

I got my BB done yesterday. Process was exact same as explained above for BB but they asked me not to wash my hair for 3 days, is this required?
        I saw the brown bottles for the product they were using for the BB product and they were genuine ,

• Stylists often confuse instructions. Sometimes they never bother taking the certification course and exam. There is no down time with BB. You can clip your hair up right away or wash it.

25. Mareena Barria says:

I have a qst . . . I recently did a brasilian blowout where pretty much the steps you laid out were followed. Except the last step after the final wash my hair was blow dried and then flat ironed as I wanted absolutely straight hair. I was recommended by stylist to wash my hair after a couple of days with the brazilian blowout products shampoo and mask which I did. Usually I never use a hair dryer on my hair as I colour my hair roots alot due to 90% grey coverage. But this time I used the hair drier lightly and used my fingers thru my hair. However was very disappointed the end result was not the very straight look I wanted. When I showed my stylist the pictures, he said that I have to use the flat iron to get the very straight look. I explained to him that a friend who has very curly hair (mine is wavvy) did the blowout and now has absolutely straight hair where even after a wash she just dries it with her fingers and a hair dryer and it comes out absolutely straight. He kept insisting she uses the flat iron and I said my friend has no reason to lie. So my question to you is how come my friend gets straight hair after she washes her hair but I get slight waves? My friend told me that she thinks the stylist did not use the flatiron as many times as he should have when the product was in the hair. Apparently you need to go over it like 5-6 times . . . The stylist is willing to re-do my hair and advised me to colour my entire head and come back as the blowout product catches better on treated hair. But he said he would charge me to retouch it up and I feel it should be free of cost if the hair didnt turn out the way I thought it would even after telling him constantly that I wanted very straight hair where I just wash it and then dry it, it falls straight just as my friends did.

Please advise. Many thanks!

• BB doesn’t straighten hair it only combats frizz. It’s possible to lose some curl when flat ironed doing 7 passes or so, but there isn’t a guarantee that it will be totally flat. That depends on the hair. Your friend’s results sound atypical. It could be that she doesn’t have the same exact hair as you and hers didn’t have that much frizz to begin with. The number of passes of the iron does make a difference but if hair is fragile damaged or over processed the stylist may not have been able to do as many passes or he may not have been able to turn the heat all the way up. Another thing to consider is the kind of water in your home. Hard and soft water makes a difference on the longevity of the blowout. There are a lot of factors to consider and because of that I’m not surprised that they want to charge for a retouch. I have some clients who have resistant hair and their hair takes until the second treatment to really respond. I also leave the solution on the hair for about 20 minutes before I blow dry so it can penetrate. Just remember hair gets better each subsequent time and only if you don’t wait until it is totally out of your hair before you get another one.

• Stephanie says:

I just read your response here and I too had the BB treatment done just two months ago and I noticed I got some of the frizz and curl back only after 6/7 weeks in. I’m sure that’s partially due to that I wasn’t using the BB aftercare products, of which I am now. I’m going back to get another treatment in a couple of days and I asked my stylist if she would leave the solution on my hair for 20 minutes before the blow drying, (like I had done when I had the Keratin Complex treatments), but she said that won’t do anything. Is that true? Can’t I have her do it anyways and see what happens?
        I’d really appreciate your feedback on this as I read that you’ve left the product on for that length of time as well. Thank you!

• It absolutely makes a difference. She may not be totally educated on hair science and structure. Or she may not be certified BB stylist. That technique is straight from the company and I have noticed that it makes a huge difference in the result and longevity. Have her try it that way for you. Maybe you’ll help her discover a way to take her blowouts to another level!

• Stephanie says:

Thanks for your quick reply! That’s what I thought, but when I called the BB company contact number, they said the same thing….that they stand by their policy and that there’s to be absolutely NO down time! So they instruct their stylists not to put the product on their clients for any additional length of time! I also asked about opting out of the rinse and deep conditioning since I have that exact product at home and will leave it in for 10 minutes or longer, and once again they said they don’t recommend that either. What’s your opinion and/ or advise? Thank you!

• Leaving it on longer certainly won’t harm the hair, but I learned that as a insider tip during my certification. The company may not have it in their written directions, but it definitely works. They legally can’t tell you to do the rinse and condition because the solution can run into your eyes and burn or cause harm. So they are saying that based on liability. It would be up to your stylist and you to make that choice. I can guess your stylist won’t guarantee results but may allow you to do it.

• Stephanie says:

I understand about the liability issue, so what I can do is ask her if she wants me to sign a release form, which is fine with me. I am going to see if I can get her to leave the product on for 20 minutes and elect not to have her do the rinse and conditioner. I’m used to that process anyways since I always had it done that way with the Keratin Complex. I don’t know why it would be an issue with the BB product. I’ll see what happens and hopefully it will last longer like you mentioned. Thanks again!

26. Abi says:

Good day…can you do Brazilian blow dry on chemically relaxed black hair.

27. Marjorie says:

I just had a Braziliian Blowout done today. I was told not to wash for two days and then to use the mask for two days. It feels soft and healthy! But you said you wash right after and do the mask treatment right after. I want to do the mask treatment tomorrow. But I’m afraid of ruining it. True BB product was used. Should I or shouldn’t I? I don’t want to have wasted the time and money?

• Did you get the full blowout? If you got the full blowout there is no need to wait and you can use the masque whenever you feel you need it. Its so nourishing! It’s my favorite deep conditioner. If they only did half the blowout and sent you home with the tools to do the last half then perhaps follow those instructions. Half the treatment would mean they didn’t rinse and deep condition at the salon. Hope that helps!

28. Mirasol Sosa says:

I have thin, fine, very frizzy, curly hair. Will this make my hair seem thinner? I use the InStyler to smooth my hair. If it weren’t for this product I would only have a flat iron which only made my hair flat with no style. It looked stringy and flat. Before using the InStyler my hair looks very much like your before picture, a huge frizzy, wild looking head of hair.

• If the stylit applies the solution about an inch away from the root and basically skips that part you will still have volume and your hair will be frizz free from the treatment. I have a few clients with the same hair. I skip the root area to preserve volume. Hope that helps!

29. Connie says:

I did BB for first time yesterday. All steps seem to be followed correctly except the fact that I wasn’t told not to wash my hear in 3 days which for me is difficult because I wash my hair everyday; it gets so greasy and with a smell if I don’t. Will I damage the treatment if I wash my hair the second day? please advise. Thanks.

• Sorry to respond so late, but no it won’t hurt it at all. For future blowouts…you can wash right away. Just be aware that washing that often means it won’t last as long as promised and it might be a good idea to get an express treatment in between. Hope that helps!

30. Natalie says:

Hi
    I came across your article and I had a quick question that I was hoping you can answer.
    I just got the brazilian blowout done. The lady who did mine told me that if i decide to leave the actual treatment (serum) in my hair that it would last longer. So i agreed to leave it in. Through all my research there wasn’t one client who actually left it in. All the stylists wash their clients hair right out and blowdry/iron part. She just blowdried and ironed my hair one time with the serum still in it. Is that okay?

• Was she running late? Was she lazy?! I am appalled she would say this. No this is not true. What she did was an express treatment. It lasts half the time as a full blowout. The rinse and masque part of the blowout seal the cuticle and THAT’s what helps it last longer. Shame on your stylist.

31. Lee Ann says:

I just got a perm on April 17, 2015 it is a mess some of the perm took some areas didn’t there is a combination of frizz, curls and totally straight hair. How long would you recommend before I try a Brazilian Blowout to correct this frizzy mess? I have very thick coarse hair. Thank you for your input.

• It won’t hurt to do it soon. There isn’t anything in the solution that will interact with the perm chemicals. The only thing to watch out for is if your hair is fragile or damaged. The ironing part could be too much for your hair if it is over processed. I’m so sorry you had this experience. Sounds like they rushed through your perm!

• Lee Ann says:

Thanks for the information. I had my BO on June 23. The question that I have now is my hair is falling out in REALLY large amounts. I have Very thick hair and I am always used to losing some hair, but this is alarming even for me. Any thoughts? I am using the appropriate shampoo and conditioners for the BO.

32. Ne'Chael says:

Hi! I hope this question finds you soon! I have had the brazilian done 3 times now. Every since this 3rd time I’ve had greasy scalp. I only use the brazilian shampoo and conditioner. I wash my hair every other night usually. The last week I have been washing it everyday and I still can’t shake the greasy feeling. Any tips on what to do? What products are safe to help maybe clarify my hair without stripping the brazilian out? Thanks for your time.

• Sounds like buildup. Use a sulfate free clarifying shampoo like Pureology Purify. I use that on my hair from time to time and it doesn’t affect my BB. Hope this helps!

• Ne'Chael Pollard says:

Thk you so much for all your advice! I LOVE BB’s. It has been a lifesaver. I used to wear my hair in a bun everyday because I couldn’t stand styling it. I have very wavy, unmanageable, thick hair. Now it’s down to my waist and I style all the time in a snap!

• You are very welcome! I am so glad I could be of help.

33. tauhere says:

I have hair exactly like this! When i did the brazillian blowout my stylist just washed my hair, put treatment in, blowdry, and flat ironed and then i was done. does that mean she did it wrong ? also when she was flat ironing my eyes kept burning super bad.

• Sounds like she did what I call an express treatment. It lasts about 6-8 weeks and I recommend it for people to do in between full blowouts. Hopefully she didn’t charge you for a full blowout because you only got half the service.

34. Jesica says:

I’m scheduled this Saturday to get a Brazilian Blowout. The person doing it has already to me what to buy for the aftercare and how to take care of it. Told me to buy Oribe Gold Lust Repair and Restore and the Conditioning Masque. Says that with these products it should last a lot longer! I’m just curious what your thoughts are? Also what will happen if you don’t get another BB after it wears off? Will my hair look dry and be brittle? Or is it going to make my hair in better shape than what it was before I got the treatment? Thanks in advance!

• Your hair will basically go back to what it was before. BB doesn’t permanently change the hair. Not sure about the products. Basically any sulfate free shampoo is better than anything but I would recommend sticking to the BB products because they are formulated to work with the solution.

35. Amrita says:

I just got this done to my hair.but they dint wash it immediately they have asked me to come after 2 days to wash it. Is this normal?
    And while doing the treatment hair fell is that also normal?
    My eyes were burning too…

• Sounds like keratin. Hair fall could be because the iron was too hot or they used too much tension while ironing. Some hair fall could have been normal shedding.

• tiaa6789 says:

Is keratin bad for the hair compared to the Brazilian blowout?

• Over time each BB treatment will make the hair stronger shinier and healthier. Over time keratin can build up and make the hair brittle. The reason for this is because keratin uses long strand protein where the BB uses shorter strand amino acids.

36. kat says:

I’ve had 4 BB treatments. The first 2 were great – silky soft, flowing hair (I have waist length hair). The last 2 have been like nothing happened. When I washed my hair a few days after the treatment, it was easily tangled, frizzy/flyaway even after using a flatiron. (The first 2 times I didn’t even have to flat iron it, it was that pretty). I use sulfate free shampoo and BB Masque conditioner. The first time it happened, she told me she had 3 other people with bad results and found out the product shelf life was expired. (She did the BB again when she got new product in and it was fine … but I paid for it since I didn’t know that at the time). This last time (2 weeks ago) she said she didn’t understand why it didn’t take and was going to call the company. She’s re-doing it Friday. Could it be she isn’t using enough product this time?? I’m confused as to why it was great 2 times and crappy the last 2. I’m doing the same thing I always do. Thanks.

• It could be expired product or it could be she didn’t use enough. Another reason could be that she didn’t do enough passes with the iron. 5-8 passes of the iron on each section is standard.

• kat says:

Thank you for your FAST feedback! and thank you so much for educating all of us. Thanks also for explaining the “express”. I wondered about not finishing the entire process (wash-product-blow dry-flat iron and repeat).

• Happy to help! I’m 100% for client education. In my salon, I never do a process unless my client completely understands what I’m doing and what possible outcomes are. Don’t be afraid to ask a million questions! If they can’t answer them, LEAVE! Good luck on your next blowout!

37. Tracy says:

Hi! I have a lot of fine curly hair that responds pretty well to blow dryers and flat irons. I’ve gotten 4 Blowouts in the past few yrs About 1-2 a year. Even when I wait 6 months, my hair stays almost stick straight except for the roots. I end up with half-curl, half-straight. I’ve always read that the Blowout just fades away without leaving an obvious line. That hasn’t been my case. I’ve worked on going back to my natural texture during this year. I love the look of the Blowout but wish I could keep some natural waviness. Is that possible? Have you seen other cases in which it doesn’t just fade away? Thanks for your time.joj

• Hi Tracy! It sounds like a more permanent solution that they’re using. If you’re 100% sure that it’s actual BB solution then I would say ask them to take bigger (thicker) sections when they are ironing. And not as many passes of the iron. This will leave some of the texture but still eliminate the frizz. Every one of my clients has had it fade out gradually. Typically it’s just the technique. So being that you have fine hair I personally would have dropped the heat on my iron, taken fewer passes of the iron and taken slightly thicker sections. This technique would give you the same result as someone with thicker coarser hair. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

38. Sheila Saunders says:

Hi! First I’d like to commend you for your honesty and straight forward responses to the questions and comments. I’m African-American with very curly hair and I’ve had a BB for almost 5 years. I would like to know if you’ve ever done the process without using the pre treatment shampoo. I ask this question because the shampoo really strips my hair and makes it extremely difficult to untangle thus causing some breakage.

• Hi Sheila! Thank you so much. Unfortunately, the pre treatment shampoo which is basically a clarifying shampoo is most important in the process. It makes the hair squeaky clean so that the BB solution can adhere to the hair. A regular shampoo just won’t cut through all the residue on the hair. Try getting a “Wet Brush” to brush out your hair afterward. It will cut down on the breakage and detangle hair easily. If you can’t find one locally, we have them in our online retail store. This brush is specifically made to brush out wet or damp hair. It looks like a regular brush but it isn’t! I hope that helps!

39. Maria says:

Hi.. I have had the Brazilian Blowout done a few times, and I was wondering what you thought of the Zero formula? I have 3b-C curls and frizzy, uneven curly hair about shoulder length medium thickness. I have good results with the orginal formula but it seems to wear off little quicker then the 12 weeks and I don’t wash it every day and use there products. So I was thinking of maybe trying the Zero or the Zero in between?… Just wanted to get your thoughts on it if it’s even worth trying. Thank you

• In short, not worth it. The zero formula isn’t as effective on any kind of major frizz or curl. I’d say fine semi frizzy hair takes best but if you love the original you’ll hate the zero. If the original was weighing your hair down then I might suggest the zero. See if your stylist offers an express treatment to extend results between blowouts. I offer that to my clients so they don’t have to do the whole blowout frequently and their hair stays smooth much longer.

40. Monica Gouveia says:

Just did my BB and am wondering what oil is great to add moisture to my very fine hair.

• The BB dry oil might be a little too heavy for fine hair. You could try Aquage Volumizing Treatment. The Volumizing line is great for fine hair. The products balance protein and moisture creating the perfect amount for finer hair. The treatment I mentioned adds moisture without weighing hair down. If you have trouble finding it locally, it is available through our retail page.

41. Gina says:

Just had a BB and was really looking forward to frizz-free hair but unfortunately the frizz was back right after I washed my hair 😦 I happened to find your website and have some questions. I was looking over the steps listed and I seem to recall my hair was washed really well, the product was then applied and left in for some time (don’t recall exactly how long, for sure 20 min or longer). Then my hair was washed and then blow dry, then flat iron (used BB iron) . It sounds like my hair wasn’t rinsed out at the right time, i.e. after it was styled and no deep conditioning was done. Does this sound like the steps weren’t done properly? What can be done now? She definitely used the right product and provided me with the after care BB shampoo and conditioner. I color my hair often re grey and have fine hair. I’m really disappointed and not happy right now. Thanks in advance.

• Sounds like she washed the solution off before she even sealed it onto your hair. She should have washed it well, blow dried, flat ironed then rinsed and deep conditioned then styled it out again. You can go back and tell them. If they are certified by Brazilian blowout you may be able to call the company. The salon should offer to redo it.

• Gina says:

When can you safely redo a BB, just want to ask when you can do it again so as to not damage the hair. Also, since I still have frizzy hair, can you please confirm if it is ok to use Moroccan Oil Frizz Control and Frederic Fekkai glossing cream in the meantime. Thanks, appreciate your help!

• Gina says:

Me again, I just watched the video link below and noticed they followed the exact steps my hairdresser used, i.e. rinsed the product before blow dry and flat iron.

However I did also notice on the website, the steps listed were as you stated, wash, apply solution, blow dry, flat iron, rinse, masque then blow dry again and style. Do you know why would they have different instructions? Definitely confusing, Would really appreciate your help and thoughts on understanding the process. Is the change in steps new?

• That is the newest version of the solution which I haven’t used yet. Brazilian Blowout Select is different from the original solution. I believe they changed the formula, and called it Select, to be able to market it in other countries. I’ll post about the new one once I test it out.

• Ok looked into it some more. The video is for BB Select which is only available in Canada. There is a US version coming out but no launch date yet.

42. Gina says:

Sorry me again, wanted to ask another question, we were doing the BB before my color (re grey hair) after the 2 wk. waiting period. Since the BB wasn’t done properly, when can you color and then do another BB treatment? Thanks again.

• Gina says:

Thanks for the info, I am in Canada so it seems I had the BB Select done and obviously it didn’t work, since I have same frizz in my hair 😦 Do you know what if anything can be done at this point? Thank you.

• Go in and talk to the stylist. You paid money for a service and didn’t get the promised results. Unless she mentioned during consultation that it wouldn’t be effective in your hair for whatever reason then there should be something they could do. Either do the treatment over again or refund your money.

• Gina says:

Can you do another treatment again right after, is it safe? I’ve also noticed a chemical smell on my hair, I’m using the BB shampoo and conditioner and while it starts off smelling really citrusy, the nice smell goes away before you’ve finished rinsing. I also noticed this smell after I had a workout. Have you experienced this before?

• Honestly, I’m not very familiar with the BB Select version. Each country has it’s own regulations about chemicals. I think you should call Brazilian Blowout and ask them about that specific treatment. With the solution I use it is safe to do it back to back and the shampoo and conditioner leave the hair smelling like fruit not chemical. Also the regular solution doesn’t have that chemical smell to it. It also smells fruity. Just judging off the procedure I think it’s doing something totally different to the hair. Like a mild relaxer or something. The main thing is that the regular solution has to be ironed and sealed on to the hair. The fact that the solution alone is doing something to the hair makes me think they made it to be a permanent smoother. I will try to find out more but I’d suggest just talking to the company.

• Gina says:

Thanks so much for your response and time, that does sound likely. I did send an email to the company a few days ago, have not heard back from them, hopefully they do respond. Thanks again.

• Happy to help Gina! Please let me know what they say.

43. Stephanie says:

I wanted to let you know what happened with my stylist. I told her to please leave the solution on for 20 minutes, she reluctantly said ok, but she only agreed to do it if I didn’t wear a cap. She said because the heat from wearing the cap would cause the solution to be activated too soon. I wasn’t sure if that would make a difference or not? So I agreed. I also chose to do the rinse & conditioner on my own a couple days later. Wondered what you think and/or if you would advise differently? Thank you.

• The solution activates at around 350 degrees Fahrenheit so the cap wouldn’t have made much of a difference. I would rinse and condition same day to avoid build up and subsequent weakening of results.

• Amanda says:

Thank you for this post! I had a BB done two weeks ago. Sounds like she did everything mostly right but I’m confused.. She sent me home with the mask and said to wash in two days, leave the masque on for 5 minutes and rinse for 5 minutes. Will my BB not last as long since she didn’t rinse at the salon?

44. Sierra says:

I want to get balayage highlights in my hair too, should I get the bb the same day? And also what are you thoughts on the “american wave”?

• Doing it the same day is a great idea! BB does not damage hair and will in fact make your hair healthier. I am not certified by ARROJO so I can’t comment on the American Wave. Try visiting their website and contacting the company for more details.

45. Laura says:

My hairstylist suggested we do a “leave in” where she didn’t wash after styling, but said to leave it in as long as possible, a day or two, THEN wash, condition and style, that this would make it last longer. Thoughts? Was she just being lazy or is this a good tip? It smells bad and I’m paranoid the chemicals are soaking in through my scalp.

• It will not make a difference. The most I leave it on is about 10-20 minutes if the client has had previous keratin treatment but only the first time. The solution is activated with heat during the flat iron process. Leaving it on forever does nothing.

46. Marie Rodriguez says:

I jus had the BB done and love it! I need a little volume for my fine hair what do you recommend?

47. Maria says:

Hi!! I had asked a question a few weeks back about the zero.. And you had suggested if the original was washing out or fading quickly to ask about the mini or the express… I asked and she did not know what I was talking about..lol so she said if I could tell her what it is she would try it… Do you think you could give me some advice on what to tell her what to do does she use the solution in a express or mini and just apply it all over the head like you would doing color? She was confused.

I love the BB and it just seems to fade a a little quicker then it’s supposed to , I use the BB products but after that 6 or 7’week it starts to fade I just wanted a refresh in between. She did say that the next treatment maybe she would leave it on 20 min before blowing it like you suggested .. Do you think she should keep combing during that ? Thank you for your help.

48. Amanda says:

• Not necessarily. I’ve heard of some salons doing this to drive retail sales and cut down on the time a BB takes up in the salon. Honestly they should be rinsing it out at the salon because the solution can burn your eyes. With BB you don’t have to leave it for days. It is ready to go after the treatment, you can clip it up, wash it, anything!

49. McKenna says:

yoitr article was very helpful but now I’m left skeptical of what was just done to my hair! I got a “Brazilian blowout” yesterday and they only washed my hair once, put in the product then blow dried and straightened. And that’s it she didn’t wash again with a mask. She told me not to wash my hair for 3 days and when I do it has to be with a mask. She said I can’t put my hair up or anything and so I slept on it straight last nigh and now I have dents in my hair. So confused :/

• That doesn’t sound anything like a BB. That sounds like a keratin treatment. You can ask to see the bottles of solution to see what they used. If they used actual BB product then they are not following directions. Some stylists don’t take the certification course and just do BB the same way they do keratin treatments.

50. Alice says:

Hello im alice im just 16 years old. Is it suitable for me to use this brazilian blowout? And like after u apply it once, do we have to keep using the shampoo everyday? Or we can just use other type of shampoos.

• The BB shampoo and conditioner will make it last much longer. Other shampoos and conditioners will strip the BB right out of your hair. I have done BB on younger clients, but with express consent from the parents. Each stylist is different about who they perform services on. It is best to talk to your stylist and see what they have to say.