This was in my fortune cookie today and I wanted to share it with you guys. I think it is so important to count your blessings everyday. This is a habit I’ve had since my college years. Each day I like to think of things that I am thankful for and it always puts me in the right state of mind to have a great day. When I start my days in a positive frame of mind, it usually stays that way.
I’d like for you guys to think of things that you are grateful for and list them. Not things like cars, malls, or jeans. Dig deep and find out what you truly cannot live without and feel so blessed to have.
For me it’s:
- my home (not house)
- my beautiful son who is so healthy and strong (hasn’t been sick once!)
- affection/support/love/friendship from my husband
- all the support in my life from friends or family
- my mother-in-law who takes care of my son-because of that I can work and pursue my dreams, who teaches him our language and sings religious songs to him, who keeps him safe and loved all day long…I can’t be grateful enough for this wonderful woman
- my mother who keeps me company on my boring drive to work, always gives me wonderful advice, and has my back no matter what, the one person in my life besides my husband who has NEVER lied to me.
- my brother and sister-in-law who have really been there. I know they would drop anything to help me and now that I’m not living near them anymore they take care of Mom and Dad.
- I could go on and on…with several years of practice, I’ve got a pretty long list.
Sometimes it might seem silly to throw in a positive, but it really helps build perspective. So sometimes while I’m cutting someone’s hair I think ‘Gosh my back really hurts from doing this all day.’ and then I immediately think ‘Thank God I have hands to cut and create with!’ And then the backache doesn’t seem so important anymore. Each time we have a negative in our path, there is always a positive reason it is there. Let your negatives lead you to positives and thus lead you to a treasure trove of things to be grateful for! Next time you find yourself complaining and painting yourself as a victim, stop and think and find the positive.
I wish you all a wonderful weekend!
I definitely agree. The attitude we have is what determines how much we will enjoy life. I may not love the job I have, but I am certainly thankful that I have one and can afford nice things. I may not like the fact that I can’t buy certain things that I want, but then I remember I have no college debt since I paid for college myself (plus scholatship) whereas many people are still paying off their college debts 5 or so years later. Life is full of so many beautiful things and all we need to do is appreciate them.